Tuesday, July 24, 2007

No Day But Today

The other day I stumbled across the film version of the musical Rent. I must admit to previously not knowing anything about it, but Demi said it had been on Broadway for years, so it might be good.

It was unbelievable. Quite possibly the best musical I have ever seen. It went into production in 1996, and earned a Tony and Pulitzer. It was made into a film, with many of the original cast, in 2005. It is loosely based on Giacomo Puccini's opera La Bohème. The story is about the lives of a group of poor young artists. The tragic element in Puccini's 1896 opera was tuberculosis. In Rent, it is AIDS.

It is still playing at the Nederlander Theatre in New York. I am so blown away by the film, I'm taking Demi to see the stage production next month.

Here is Finale B. Enjoy.



J.

No comments:

Post a Comment