Is a split in the worldwide communion now inevitable?A tip of the biretta (without tassels) to Jim.
* For the traditionalists there can be no compromise on a matter of biblical authority
* The North American churches will never accept the retraction demanded of them
* The Anglican provinces are self-governing and could manage on their own
* The churches could agree to disagree on the issue and still keep in communion
* The splits are not only between provinces but within them so there is a shared interest in compromise
* For most of the laity, sexual politics are not of paramount importance
Tuesday, February 13, 2007
Is Schism Inevitable?
Those who are new to Jake's place, and those who may not be Episcopalians, might be a bit confused about what is going on at the Primates' Meeting. If so, give The Big Question a read. Adrian Hamilton summarizes the situation quite well. Here's his conclusion:
Labels: Anglican Communion, Episcopal Church
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment