Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Big Brother is Watching

The FBI is after the ACLU. Imagine that. Details and links are here. Falwell makes an appearance again. That's two weeks in a row. You think I'm carrying a grudge? Hmmmm....nah.

But, for your entertainment, let me bring you the lyrics of a little ditty put together by Roy Zimmerman (it's intended to be humorous; I'm hoping it won't be too off-color for the regs at Jake's place). To "get it," let me refresh your memory of Falwell's statement two days after 9/11;

...I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way -- all of them who have tried to secularize America -- I point the finger in their face and say, 'You helped this happen.'
Now I'll let Roy take over;

Jerry Falwell's god was standing by the elevator while we were talking about the party, so we had to invite him.

Secretly, we were all wishing that he wouldn't come, because he's vengeful and jealous and he tends to smite people.

And, of course, he knew we were thinking that, so it made him all the more determined to show up and punish us.

And I wanted to invite my god, but I couldn't find him.

But, Jerry Falwell's god is hard to miss... the gossamer robe and the beard down to here, and the button that says, "What would Jesus do?"

And sure enough, day of the party, there he was at the door.

And he spoke, spaketh he, saying, "I AM COME."

And I knew there was a joke there... but Jerry Falwell's god will not be mocked.

So I said, "Come in."

Jerry Falwell's god
Jerry Falwell's god
Huh!

Now, I'm no heavenly host, but I throw a decent party, and there were people of all kinds there — black, white, Swedish, Norwegian, the whole human spectrum.

And right away, Jerry Falwell's god found the two people who would listen to him and began spaking in a voice so loud, it made the Beastie Boys sound like the Vienna Boys Choir.

And he made the lame to walk.

And these were my friends, so they were still lame, but they could walk.

And he turned the loaves to fishes, and the Oreos to Hydrox.

And he divided up the room, divided he, saying "Gays here, lesbians here, pagans here, abortionists, feminists, civil libertarians, People for the American Way," and frankly, some of us did not know where to stand.

I went with the lesbians.

Jerry Falwell's god
Jerry Falwell's god
Huh!

And he pointed his huge finger at each group in turn, saying, "I blame you, and you, and you, who have secularized society and cast me out of the town square," and I thought, "Man you are the town square."

He said, "Lo, I have lifted the Veil of Protection, for the end days are here, and the judgment is nigh, where I will draw the faithful to heaven and will leave the unrepentant to walk a desolate earth." And I thought, "More polyester for the rest of us."

And he spat fire, and he rained toads, and he brought forth seven bowls of seven plagues, and finally I just said, "Look, I'll tell you one thing Jesus would not do.

Jesus would not wreck a guy's party.

And Jesus would not preach hate.

And Jesus would not stand in the rubble and say, 'I told you so.'

And Jesus would not use an international catastrophe to score points for some misogynistic, narrow, homophobic, anti-Semitic interpretation of his life and teaching.

And if people are jealous and judgmental and vengeful and violent, maybe it's because you made them in your image.

And if people have cast you out of the town square, maybe it's because you are a finger-pointing, moralizing, rageaholic, stone drag who gives deities a bad name!

And if people have turned away from your word, maybe it's because you have spinach in your teeth!"

And he smote me.

Jerry Falwell's god
Jerry Falwell's god
Huh!

J.

UPDATE: You can hear Roy performing this number here (Thanks, Paul).

ANOTHER UPDATE; You'll never guess who Jerry is claiming rang him up the other day. Yep, it was the White House, seeking a little advice regarding the Supreme Court appointment. I suppose this makes it safe to assume that it won't be Tinky Winky getting the nod tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment