Monday, August 30, 2004

Go Ask Alice

Artificial intelligence is getting pretty freaky. Pretty soon, there'll be no need to outsource customer service; the bots will do it all.

See for yourself. Go ask A.L.I.C.E.

They've started using teacher bots already.

It's not property, or capital, or even military might, that is the source of power anymore. Today, information is power. And the one who knows how to access that information holds the reins.

Is raw information necessarily a plus? I wonder. It seems to me that being bombarded with data, without someone to help us learn how to think about this deluge of information, is to overwhelm a person/student with options, without any tools to help them make the necessary choices.

Go ask Alice. Do I think she'll know? I doubt it. Information devoid of heart and spirit cannot offer any knowledge of real value.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment