Tuesday, January 01, 2008

One Million Visits!

Please allow me to take a brief break from more serious matters to announce that at 10:55 p.m. tonight, Jake's Place received its one millionth visitor!

I'd like to offer that visitor a token of appreciation. The visit came from Ontario, Canada at at 10:55 pm EST. The last digits of the IP address are 74.199. Please let me know who you are, so I can send you a complimentary gift.

The "page view" total is 1,290,730. When you are browsing a site, every time you follow a link, it is treated as a single "page view". Site Meter, the stat counter I use, defines a "visit" as a series of page views by one person with no more than 30 minutes in between page views. So, to use terms familiar elsewhere, this site has received almost 1,300,000 "hits," of which 1,000,000 were "unique visitors".

There have been 43,168 comments to date.

Since we are already talking about numbers, and have just entered a new year, I thought some folks might be interested in some stats about Jake's for 2007:

424 posts
547,594 visits
721,866 page views
37,399 comments
4,517 comments for May (highest single month)
88 average comments per post

This little "hobby" has gone way beyond my expectations when I started it as a personal "web log." I am simply amazed, and some days a bit overwhelmed, by how this site has somehow taken on a life of its own.

I want all of you to know that I am aware that it is the community gathered here, and the daily conversations we hold, that is the heart of this place. My deepest thanks to all who participate, and to all who carry our discussions beyond the confines of these pages.

As we begin a new year, I'm open to recommendations regarding future topics, changes to the site, and even the comment policy. I'll listen to any idea. No promises about adopting any of them, though!

Thanks again, folks. I'll post an update when our one millionth visitor is identified.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment