Thursday, January 31, 2008

I'm an Irate Fellow, and I'm Okay

You simply must go read this message from Bishop Sergio Carranza of Los Angeles. Here's just a taste:

Here we are, just a few months away from the Lambeth Conference and we find ourselves in an impasse: the Bishop of New Hampshire without an invitation to attend the meeting, the poachers from the Global South hunting in the U.S.A. and Canada, the schismatics trying to steal TEC's property, the Nigerian post-colonial neo-crusader-in-reverse uttering threats, and the Archbishop of Canterbury giving the impression that he is willing to sacrifice the Episcopal Church in order to appease the radical conservatives and thus maintain the unity of an already fractured Anglican Communion.

These are perturbing, bewildering and irritating times for the truly orthodox Anglicans who want to preserve not only the identity, but the essence of Anglicanism, and refuse to accept the new religion crafted by some of the power greedy Third World hierarchs and the lunatic fringe of American conservatism...
Man, that is sure telling it like it is, eh? But what I really appreciated was the Bishop's closing thought:

...And before I am accused of being an irate fellow, let me quote what St. Thomas Aquinas has to say about it: "He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral. Why? Because anger looks to the good of justice. And if you can live amid injustice without anger, you are immoral as well as unjust."
All together now:

I'm an irate fellow, and I'm okay.
I sleep all night. I rant all day.

Choir: He's an irate fellow, and he's okay.
He sleeps all night and he rants all day.

I cut down thugs. I eat my lunch.
I go to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays I go shoppin'
And feed the poor for free.

Choir: He cuts down thugs. He eats his lunch.
He goes to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays he goes shopping
And feeds the poor for free.

I cut down thugs. I skip and jump.
I like to press wild flowers.
I put on...

Err, the rest doesn't really apply. Really. It doesn't.

But do go read Bp. Carranza's piece. Some good straight talk. No pun intended. Really. None at all.

I think I'm done now.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment