Friday, March 23, 2007

C of E: The Most Gay-Friendly Church in the World

Damian Thompson of the Telegraph claims that gay bishops are here to stay. He bases this speculation partially on an article by Christopher Morgan that recently appeared in the Church of England Newspaper, in which he claims "that the C of E is the most gay-friendly Church in the world, easily outstripping any other province of the Anglican Communion."

Do go read the whole thing, but I did want to highlight this bit that I found rather amazing:

...Morgan goes on to talk about gay bishops in the Church, and says that George Carey told him on tape that he had ordained at least two. In fact, Dr Carey actually named the two bishops. One of the names came as no surprise, since (if my memory serves me) the bishop had, as a priest, once served as a judge for Mr Gay UK...
Lord Carey, the darling of the Network crowd, admits to playing "don't ask, don't tell." Imagine that.

It seems to me past time for us to start seriously advocating in favor of the "h" word...honesty.

Thompson's conclusion is worth noting as well:

...My senior source, as I say, reckons that 20 bishops are obviously gay; probably there are more. And the conclusion I draw from this is the same as Chris Morgan's: since homosexual bishops are a fait accompli, isn't it time for both sides in this increasingly boring debate to pipe down?
This leaves me wondering if Thompson is also advocating for a continuation of the "don't ask, don't tell" tradition. Just keep your mouth shut when in mixed groups, and everything will be just grand.

I don't think so. We've been there, done that, and the results were less than Christian, it seems to me. It is time for honesty, and let the chips fall where they may.

Saturno tip to Dan for this one.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment