Thursday, May 08, 2008

Death Threats Cause for Bp. Robinson's Civil Union to be Before Lambeth

From the Today Show



From the Today Show summary:


...He said he is entering the civil union because he wants his partner as well as his two daughters from a previous marriage to have the same legal protections afforded heterosexual couples.

“I am simply not going to put my life in jeopardy without putting into place the protections for my beloved partner and my children and my grandchildren that are offered to me in a civil union,” Robinson said. “I think any husband or wife would want to do that.”
What that quote left out was the phrase that preceded it. Here is the complete transcript of that particular comment:


...In the face of death threats this Summer, I am simply not going to go to that conference and put my life in jeopardy without putting into place the protections for my beloved partner and my children and my grandchildren that are offered to me in a civil union. I think any husband or wife would want to do that.
(emphasis added)
The announcement of the civil union did not cause the death threats to increase. The announcement of the Bishop's intention to attend Lambeth did. The death threats decided the date of the civil union; it needs to happen before Lambeth.

Bishop Robinson's new book, In the Eye of the Storm, can be found here.

On a more personal note, our friend Kirstin needs to be remmembered in our prayers. Please go visit her and express your support.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment