Monday, May 23, 2005

The 6,000 Mile Marathon

My daughter's wedding was wonderful. The "officiant" was the deputy commissioner of something for the state of California. This shot makes him look like a comedian, but he was appropriately serious most of the time.

We left Friday morning, and got stuck in Dallas/Fort Worth for about eight hours that afternoon. I'll never fly "stand by" again! I've never liked Texas to begin with, and this trip accentuated that dislike.

We rented a Volvo. I was not impressed. The gas pedal is difficult to find without hitting the brake, even with my small feet (size 8). The window controls were absurd, and I never did figure out the cruise. Acceleration was adequate, but nothing spectacular. Nice turning radius.

Wonderful accomodations at the Sheraton. We were in the northern part of the state, wine country, which is beautiful this time of year. I was glad Demi got to see this aspect of CA; during our last trip she got her fill of the "golden hills" ("They're not golden," she said, "they're brown, as in dead!")

My daughter and her fiance chose to have an outdoor wedding at a lovely resort. They wrote their own vows, and both got choked up trying to read them.

I was able to visit with members of the family that I haven't seen for a few years. Some healing occurred, some old friendships were renewed, some new ones were made, the California wine flowed freely, and a good time was had by all.

After the "father-daughter dance," (for which she chose a song I used to sing to her when she was a wee lass), Demi and I had to head back to the airport. No problems with the return flight.

My daughter was a beautiful bride, and her husband is a fine young man. I pray their home will be a haven of joy and peace, and that God's blessings will be upon them now and always.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment