Monday, April 12, 2004

What is a Christian?

Brian Hamilton is doing a survey of responses to the question; What does it mean to be a Christian?

Personally, I find it quite frustrating to constantly hear Christianity defined as some fanatical, fundamentalist, exclusive club. As I have previously mentioned, I see no future for such extremism. The current strident voices are the last gasp of a dying tradition; a last gasp that seems determined to cast Christians in the role of conquering hero in a war to eliminate all infidels. May God have mercy on us all.

I don't think Christianity will die out (unless the Strident Ones succeed in wiping out the entire species). What I think does have to finally be put to the rest is the self-righteous, arrogant manifestation of the tradition that was dominant during most of the 20th century.

Anyway, that's my opinion. Maybe more about the direction I see Christianity emerging in the future (if there is one) another time. Take the survey.

J.

UPDATE: For those who might not recognize the Strident Ones, here is a classic example; U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft ends a speech at a Charlotte, North Carolina seminary with a rousing rendition of a song he wrote called 'Let The Eagles Soar' (thanks Keith). Scary stuff, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment