Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Listening, Reflecting and Praying

I must admit to being caught off guard by the level of emotion the statement from the House of Bishops generated. Since it was basically an affirmation of the status quo, I found little that was new, or even inspiring for that matter.

So, I've been listening, trying to understand the outrage. Unfortunately, I found it difficult to get past the emotion and really hear much of what has been said in the comments. So I looked around elsewhere.

I found two items that were very helpful. One offered by Tobias Haller and another by Michael Hopkins. I recommend that you take a look at both of them.

In regards to those who are feeling that they need to leave the Church, I want you to know that I find that response heartbreaking. I hope that as time goes by, and you reflect further on these matters, you may reconsider that decision.

I understand our role as Christians as being primarily about manifesting the Kingdom of God. I do not believe such a radical transformation of this world is possible unless we work together in community.

I don't say this simply because I'm clergy. I believed that being in community was essential long before seminary. And I don't confuse community with the institution. I've gotten fed up with the institution enough to walk away for a few years after seminary. I realize that some of the biggest stumbling blocks in our path toward union with God and one another are placed there by the Church.

But, I need community. In my journey, while traveling to the outer edges of spirituality and back again, I stumbled across this Church. As flawed and frail as she is, this is where I have landed. This Church has become my spiritual home. Where else would I go?

The Church is a harlot. But she's all we've got.

Let us pray,

Gracious God, we pray for your holy Catholic Church. Fill it
with all truth, in all truth, with all peace. Where it is corrupt,
purify it; where it is in error, direct it; where in any thing it is
amiss, reform it. Where it is right, strengthen it; where it is in
want, provide for it; where it is divided, reunite it; for the sake
of Jesus Christ your Son our Savior.
Amen.

Now, go read Tobias and Michael. And I'll go back to listening.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment