Monday, August 21, 2006

Blogging Episcopalians

Aaron, a visitor and commenter here at Jake's place, wrote an article for The Living Church entitled Blogging Episcopalians.

In preparation for writing this article, Aaron sent me a few questions about blogging. I found responding to his questions a good reflection tool regarding this addictive hobby. I want to thank Aaron for giving Jake a few good quotes, including the last word:

...Ultimately, it all comes down to a common love of writing. “The blog is a hobby,” says Fr. Jake. “I do it because I enjoy it. Some ministry does occur among those who gather there, but that was never the intention. I do it because I find it to be an enjoyable way to unwind at the end of a day, and because others seem to enjoy it as well. When it quits being fun, I’ll probably shut it down."
There are sites that offer news and debates. There are sites that exist to further a particular cause. And I'm told there are websites that even attempt to do ministry. Sorry to disappoint some folks, but this blog is none of the above, even though those things do happen here once in awhile.

I'm considering taking Jake's place in some new directions. The news regarding the current unpleasantness within Anglicanism continues to get uglier each day, and tends to draw the more unsavory aspects of my own character to the surface. This is becoming not only spiritually unhealthy for me, but is also providing a poor witness to the world.

The reality is that the current unpleasantries, with their associated discourtesies, have absolutely nothing to do with the ministry that I am currently engaged in. I've taken on a project that is quite exciting, and after a year of work is beginning to bear fruit. As new developments emerge, it is demanding more and more of my attention. It is fulfilling work, and I love the people who have joined me in this adventure. Maybe one day I can speak more freely about this quest. Unfortunately, today is not that day.

Jake's place will continue, because I'm addicted to this strange world of squiggly lines on a screen. But, to keep it from slipping over the edge into the realm of anger and dreariness, there may be a broader range of topics introduced in the future.

Thanks Aaron, for the opportunity to step back and get a better view of the road ahead.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment