Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Reflection Required

It's been awhile since I spoke on a personal level here at Jake's place. Initially this was intended to be a personal log. Somehow it managed to morph into something else. If that is a good or bad thing remains to be seen.

What is becoming apparent to me is that it is time to reflect a bit on the direction Jake's place will take in the future. I'm launching a major project for the Church that requires my full attention right now. There's been some developments in my personal life that are also calling for me to re-evaluate my priorities. Beyond that, I'm feeling uncomfortable lately with the tone that has become prominent on this site.

I take responsibility for the tone. Being a bit snarky (or as one commenter recently put it, "cheeky") is one of the qualities that I believe makes this site somewhat unique. The difficulty is that there is a fine line between being "cheeky" and being just plain rude. I'm not sure I always recognize that line.

The season of Advent is quickly approaching. This seems like a good time to engage in some serious reflection, and to be more attentive to some spiritual disciplines that I have been neglecting lately. It is time to get a healthier perspective on life, and seek what it is God would have me do. I need to do this for my own sake, and also for the sake of my family and for the sake of those who have entrusted me with the responsibilities that come with being a spiritual leader.

What changes will there be? Nothing drastic. I'm not anticipating shutting down Jake's place yet. I'll still try to offer at least a couple of posts a week. The most prominent change that I hope for is that the tone will become more positive and less bitter.

I want to thank those who have sent me personal notes of support and encouragement, and those who point me to articles of interest elsewhere on the net (and the grammar police...you know who you are!). I enjoy such personal contact. I continue to believe that it is through one on one communications that bonds of community are built.

I invite each of you to consider this season of Advent as an opportunity for spiritual renewal. As we wait with joyful anticipation and quiet wonder for the birth of Christ in a manger in Bethlehem, may we also prepare for Christ to be born anew within each of our hearts at the conclusion of our Advent journey.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment