Monday, October 03, 2005

5 Idiosyncrasies

J-Tron tagged me for the "5 Idiosyncrasies" meme. First, let's define our terms;

id·i·o·syn·cra·sy
1. A structural or behavioral characteristic peculiar to an individual or group.
2. A physiological or temperamental peculiarity.
3. An unusual individual reaction to food or a drug.

In other words, reveal your weirdness. Weird is a more interesting term;

weird
1. Of, relating to, or suggestive of the preternatural or supernatural.
2. Of a strikingly odd or unusual character; strange.
3. Archaic. Of or relating to fate or the Fates.

So, here are the first 5 weird idiosyncracies that come to mind;

1. I like to go fast in a straight line. The thrill of quick acceleration has always been a constant source of joy for me. The first time I got behind the wheel of a car, I hit 110 before losing control going around a corner. I don't care for corners so much. I've only lost my license in one state so far, although I'm 3 points away from it in this state. I'm really trying to reform.

2. I cannot tolerate standing in long lines. I feel like a cow waiting to be milked. If the lines are too long at the store, I'll leave my cart and walk out.

3. My favorite time of day is between midnight and 5 a.m. There is something soothing about being in the quiet darkness. No interruptions. No tasks to be completed. I can read and think, and maybe take a stroll down the silent streets.

4. I drink coffee all day long. I started this habit when I was in the Navy, where coffee was usually the only beverage available while on duty. Once off duty, we switched to beer. When I gave up beer, I replaced it with more coffee. Hmm...do you think this might have anything to do with 1-3 above? Nah...couldn't be.

5. I do not like locked doors. It doesn't matter if I'm inside or outside the door. Knowing a door is locked makes me anxious. For years I didn't know where this came from. Then I volunteered for prision ministry. Every time I heard the guard's keys, and heard the doors clang shut, I would flinch. I think it comes from the time I served in a state reformatory as a juvenile. I don't ever want to be a caged animal again. I'm getting better about this, but I doubt if I'll ever serve in the corrections field.

Now I'm supposed to tag 5 folks. I think I'll pick on the Pirates;

Joker
Stacey
Sparks
Spidey
TJ

And then, just because I'm curious if I can guess her 5 accurately, I'm adding my lovely wife;

Demi

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment